The cancellation of New X-men and the announcement of Young X-men debuting in April has had me rereading the New X-men. As I'm going through my X-men immersion and gathering my thoughts on the franchises past and future, I have found a couple of X-men videos that slipped totally under my radar, until now.
I suggest grabbing a bowl of pop corn and dimming the lights a little, for you are now, in my youtube theatre. First things first, the previews. The future of animated X-men.
Wow! What an awesome trailer. The story and concept seem to be at the forefront of this story. Which is a sign of good things. "Your son's a mutant" and the music blares. The music is perfect and gives the video an unprecedented cool factor. I'm really looking forward to this cartoon. I assume it is coming out around the same time as Wolverine: Origins. So I await anxiously. Before our feature presentation, may I remind everyone that this saturday the new Spectacular Spiderman show debuts.
My knowledge of the history of the X-men comes primarily from card collecting in the 90's and the X-men cartoon of that same age. I thought it was the X-men's only appearance on the small screen since the 60's but I was wrong there was a pilot in 1989. The title is pure genius "Pryde of the X-men" so I submit it to you for your viewing pleasure.
- The theme song is fun. "magneto's hordes are on the way to pillage, burn, and plunder" never a truer lyric sung.
- The introduction of the X-men showcasing their powers is cool. I love Colossus being all Indiana Jonesy
- I love Colossus's voice.
- Army men calling mutants "muties" filled with hate and fear. It seems very mature to me for a cartoon.
- The X-men go into space very matter of factly.
- The lack of X's. In the X-men comics now the costume designs and locales of the X-men are just covered in X's. These mutants don't have shred of X on them i think it's pretty refreshing and lets everyone kind of stand out.
- The story is weak. " protect the mutant circuit" WTF!
- The army guys voices are horrible.
- Kitty Pryde's voice makes my ears bleed and she comes off as a total nitwit.
- Wolverine is not scottish or irish or whatever. He is canadian. So his voice casting is also unbearable.
- Toad's voice in unbearable as well.
- The fight at the end is weak. With the gauntlet of the Brotherhood picking off the X-men one by one as they fight the X-men.
- Nightcrawler comes off as a pervert at the end, and Colossus comes off a little gay.
- Dazzler is on the team! There's no Jean Grey and they put Dazzler on the team, seriously.
All in all, I'm happy. This version of the X-men didn't get picked up. I hope Wolverine and the X-men does not meet a similar fate.